About Philately (Stamp Collecting):
This hobby has been around for over 200 years. It is particularly interesting to people that like to look at detail, examine culture, organize information, and make displays while letting them express their creative side.
- There are currently millions of stamps available for less than 10¢ a piece.
- Stamps are readily available on your daily mail.
- There are local clubs and stamp shops in every metropolitan area (and many in rural areas).
- There are 100’s of specialty topical clubs. (Airmail, any country, Revenue, etc)
- Allows the individual some quiet time.
- Can have 1000 stamps and they still fit in a shoebox.
- A hobby that will keep in a closet for years while other things preoccupy your life.
- Can preoccupy much of your time.
- It is not a money making endeavor.
- You can quickly get to 5 shoeboxes.
- What is philately? – Explaining where stamps come from and where to find them. A free sample album will be available along with free stamps.
- Soaking stamps – No one knew you could have so much fun with some paper and water. Children will learn to soak stamps from envelopes.
- Mounting stamps – Examples of different ways to safely mount stamps will be shown. Also hinges will be supplied so that each child can mount their stamps.
- Books on stamps – Tour your library to find books about stamp collectors, stamp catalogs, and collateral material.
- Stamp Games - Stamp related games.
- Stamp Hunting – large boxes of unsorted stamps are available for all kids to search thru at the PENPEX show in December. Packets will also be mailed on a regular basis.
- Treasure chest – Earn points for completing games and projects during the year to redeem and grab from the treasure chest at PENPEX in December. The treasure chest has games, books, stamps and toys to choose from. Available to local members that can attend PENPEX Show.